Faculty of Information Science
The Faculty of Information Science (FIS) was established in 2007, formerly known as the Computing division of Ho Chi Minh City College of Education which was established in 1997. For over 20 years of construction and development, the FIS has contributed to educating hundreds of Information Technology (IT) teachers for secondary schools and high schools and training over one thousand IT engineers working at agencies and businesses in Ho Chi Minh City and in many cities and provinces across the country.
The FIS is assigned to train at two programs:
- Undergraduate program in two majors: Information Technology (enrollment from 2007 – 2008 , high quality program enrollment from 2017 – 2018) and Software Engineering (enrollment from 2018 – 2019).
- Master program in Computer Science (enrollment from 2016 – 2017).
In 2020 – 2021, the FIS enrolled 700 full-time students and 120 students of the high-quality training program with the current training scale for full-time undergraduate enrollment is over 1106 students as well as 19 graduate students in the enrollment scale of 40 students.
The Faculty has completed the Program Framework and the detailed Curriculum of the IT major in the credit–based training system. The content of the outlines is constantly updated according to the trends of social development and the research capacity of faculty members.
With the motto of training associated with social needs, the Faculty has focused on expanding relationships with localities, companies, businesses to cooperate in training, scientific research, practical training and field trips. In recent years, the delegates of the Faculty staffs have extensively been on field trips to learn and set up cooperation in training and scientific research with many companies and businesses (TMA Solutions, Kyanon Digital, FSOFT,…etc) and have achieved good results in coordinating training, applying scientific research for production and social life, sending students for internship, organizing training field practice and recruiting graduates.
- Functions and Duties
The FIS is a division under the management of the Sai Gon University. The structure of the Faculty includes: the Faculty Management Board, the Science-Training Council, Departments, Computer labs, and Research lab. The Faculty is responsible for the tasks of training, doing scientific research and managing the staffs, the lecturers and the students of the Faculty.
The FIS has the following duties:
- Developing training programs, teaching plans, organizing the implementation and managing the training process of majors and other educational activities in the University’s core curriculum and teaching plans.
- Organizing scientific and technological activities, proactively exploiting domestic and foreign cooperation projects; organizing scientific research; taking part in developing training enrollment scale.
- Orientating short-term research according to business’ needs and orders; as well as orientating long-term research according to international science and technology development trends.
- Connecting businesses in research and recruitment.
- Developing plans and organizing the implementation of political, ideological, ethical and lifestyle education for staffs, lecturers, and faculty members; organizing training and fostering courses to constantly improve the professional qualifications and skills to meet the requirements of the cause of education and training.
- Organizing the compilation of syllabus and reference materials for the subjects in the training program; organizing research on improving teaching and learning methods; proposing plans of supplementing and maintaining equipment for teaching and learning, practical training, doing internship and scientific experiments.
- Effectively managing and using equipment and supplies.
- Implementing student management (reception, academic management, evaluation of students’ ethical and professional training process…) to ensure political security and order security among students.
- Conducting periodic assessments of faculty staffs and wisely organizing tasks to meet the high requirements of training and scientific research.
- Vision – Mission
By 2025, the FIS will have become a renowned and prestigious research and training division for high quality human resources in IT. By 2035, the Faculty will have been an advanced IT training division, on a par with the leading domestic and global universities.
Implementing scientific research and applying technologies to meet the cause of industrialization, modernization and international integration of the country. Transferring knowledge by means of training in order to develop human resources in IT for sustainable development goals.
Developing and improving the quality of activities of the IT; Training IT Engineers with professional capacity, political qualities, ethics and responsibilities to meet social needs and the knowledge economy.
In the period from 2020 to 2025, the Faculty will have become a division of scientific research and human resources training in the IT with high quality standards.
In the period from 2026 to 2035, the Faculty will have been a prestigious IT scientific research and training division in Vietnam, on par with the leading domestic training divisions and achieved the AUN – QA standards.
Humanity – Creativeness – Liberality
Staffs and lecturers of the FIS always have a sense of responsibility in all tasks and professional fields, being creative in teaching and scientific researching, proactively strengthening research cooperation, linking with the domestic and foreign IT training divisions for internship programs. Students are active in practical approach to get the best of the teaching and learning process for sustainable development goals.
- Organizational structure
The current FIS has a Dean and 3 Deputy Deans who are assigned to handle a number of specific areas.
Organization chart of the Faculty
FACULTY MANAGEMENT BOARD AND HEADS OF DEPARTMENTS
|Board of Head of Department||Responsibilities|
|Phạm Thế Bảo, Assoc. Prof., Dr.
|Phan Tn Quốc, Assist. Prof. Dr.
|Nguyễn Hòa, Assoc. Prof., Dr.
|Nguyễn Nhựt Đông, MSc.
|Lê Minh Nhựt Triều, Assist. Prof. Dr.||Head of Computer Science Department|
|Nguyễn Quốc Huy, Assist. Prof. Dr.||Head of Software Engineering Department|
|Nguyễn Tuấn Đăng, Assoc.Prof. Dr.
|Head of Information System Department|
|Phan Tấn Quốc, Assist. Prof. Dr.
|Head of Computer Engineering Department|
List of Faculty leader’s assistants
|Training Assistant||Mr. Phạm Thi Vương, MSc., email@example.com
Mr. Nguyễn Thanh Sang, MSc., firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Trịnh Tấn Đạt, Assist. Prof. Dr., email@example.com
|Scientific research assistant||Ms. ĐinhThị Thu Hương, Assist. Prof. Dr. firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Student’s service assistant||Ms. Tô Thi Ngọc Châu, MSc., email@example.com
Mr. Nguyễn Trung Tín, MSc., firstname.lastname@example.org
|Computer room assistant||Mr. Lương Minh Huấn, MSc., email@example.com
Mr. Lê Cao Sơn, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. Tô Thị Ngọc Châu, MSc., email@example.com
- Ms. Lê Ngọc Kim Ngân, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr. Nguyễn Trung Tín, MSc., email@example.com
- Mr. Lê Cao Sơn, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Faculty has 24 lecturers consisting of 03 Associate Professors, 09 Assistant Professors, 03 Ph.D. Candidates studying in Vietnam, 01 Ph.D. Candidates studying abroad, 08 Masters. The Faculty also has a team of 16 visiting lecturers with a master’s degree or higher in the field of information science working at other departments. Among the fulltime lecturers of the Faculty, there are lecturers graduating with master/ doctorate/or studying Ph.D. programs in the US, UK, Australia, Japan, Korea, Italy,…
Table 2. Information on lectures and science staffs
|No||Last Name||First Name||Academic rank,
|Training Country||Specialized Majors|
|1||Phạm Thế||Bảo||Assoc. Prof. Dr.||Vietnam||Computer Science|
|2||Lê Minh Nhựt||Triều||Assist. Prof. Dr.||Australia||Computer Science|
|3||Huỳnh Minh||Trí||Assist. Prof. Dr.||Vietnam||Computer Science|
|4||Đỗ Ngọc Như||Loan||Assist. Prof. Dr.||Australia||Informatics|
|5||Nguyễn Tuấn||Đăng||Assoc. Prof. Dr.||Vietnam||Informatics|
|8||Lương Minh||Huấn||Master||Vietnam||Computer Science|
|9||Lê Nhị Lãm||Thúy||Ph.D. Cand.||Vietnam||Computer Science|
|10||Đinh Thị Ngọc||Loan||Ph.D. Cand.||Australia||Information System|
|11||Nguyễn Quốc||Huy||Assist. Prof. Dr.||Japan||Information Science|
|12||Phùng Thái Thiên||Trang||Ph.D. Cand.||Vietnam||Computer Science|
|13||Nguyễn||Hòa||Assoc. Prof. Dr.||Vietnam||Computer Science|
|14||Phan Tấn||Quốc||Assist. Prof. Dr.||Vietnam||Computer Science|
|15||Đinh Thị Thu||Hương||Assist. Prof. Dr.||Vietnam||Foundations of Mathematics in Informatics|
|16||Phạm Hoàng||Vương||Master||Vietnam||Computer Science|
|17||Huỳnh Thắng||Được||Master||Vietnam||Computer Science|
|18||Nguyễn Thành||Huy||Assist. Prof. Dr.||Japan||Information Science|
|19||Trịnh Tấn||Đạt||Assist. Prof. Dr.||Korea||Electronics & Computer Engineering|
|20||Nguyễn Thị Hồng||Anh||Master||Vietnam||Computer Science|
|21||Trương Tấn||Khoa||Ph.D. Cand.||Vietnam||Computer Science|
|22||Vũ Ngọc Thanh||Sang||Assist. Prof. Dr.||Japan||Electronic Science Information|
|23||Nguyễn Thanh||Sang||Master||Vietnam||Computer Science|
|24||Phan Nguyệt||Minh||Master||Vietnam||Computer Science|
The full-time under–graduated program of IT engineers was first designed in the 2007 – 2008 and is revised every 4 years after each year of graduation in 2012, 2016, and 2020. The program is currently being applied is the 2016 – 2020 cyclical versions, which is taught over 4,5 years including 150 credits. Students must accumulate a minimum of credits (excluding 03 credits of subjects of Physical Education and 08 credits of subjects of National Defense – Security Education), including:
– General knowledge: 34 credits (compulsory: 32 credits; optional: 02 credits);
– Basic knowledge: 48 credits (compulsory: 48 credits; optional: 0 credits);
– Major knowledge: 48 credits (compulsory: 30 credits; optional: 18 credits);
– Specialized knowledge: 34 credits (compulsory: 16 credits; optional: 18 credits)
+ Internships: 6 credits.
+ Graduation thesis / alternative modules: 10 credits
General information about program given in Table 3.
Table 3 General information about program
|1. Name||Information Technology|
|3. Type of degree||Engineer|
|4. Type of education||Full-time|
|5. Time||4,5 years|
|6. Number of Credit||150|
|7. Management Faculty||Information Science|
The program Objectives
The program aims to develop high-quality IT human resources with professional capacity, political qualities, ethics and good health to meet the requirements for the development of IT field in Vietnam and Southeast Asia.
IT engineers will be able to have:
- PO1: Solid foundation of general education knowledge, major knowledge and specialized knowledge in the field of IT.
- PO2: Fluency in self-study skills, problem-solving skills, career skills and creative thinking in the IT field.
- PO3: Ability to know the social needs; responsibilities for oneself, family and society; respect for the law; conscious of lifelong learning.
Job position after graduation
- Programmers, testers, database administrators, network administrators, IT staffs, website administrators at companies such as banks, securities companies, media companies, post offices, schools…
- Consultants: providing solutions of security design, data security services at high-tech consulting solution companies in IT.
- Participating in the stages of software development at software companies.
- Participating in teaching at education institutions: high school, college, institute and university.
Facilities – Laboratory
The FIS is currently assigned to manage 05 computer labs (40 computers each room). These computer labs serve practical lessons for basic and specialized subjects of the IS faculty and other faculties. These labs are also used for the University’s IT Center in training short-term courses and project-based training courses. In addition, the FIS is also able to share the computer labs managed by the University’s IT Center.
The following is a list of computer labs managed by the faculty: C.A102, C.A105, C.A106, C.A109, C.A110, and C.A111 (1st floor, block A, main campus).
|1||Algorithm – Computing – Approximate Computing|
|2||Database – Knowledge Representation|
|3||Applying AI to solve real problems – IoT|
|5||Natural Language Processing|
Image Processing – Pattern Recognition – Signal Processing
- Contact information
Phone: (028) 38382 664
Address: Area A, Room A107, An Duong Vuong Street, Ward 3, District 5, TP. HCM